Friday, January 28, 2011

You've Been Waiting How Long? Is Reese 4 years old now?

I never fail to get taken aback by the innocent question regarding Reese and how she's been during the wait.  I try to remember that the circumstances behind my adoption are so out of the realm for the majority that they struggle to grasp my new vernacular of log-in date, review room, match day and gotcha day.  Some have exhibited sincere concern about Reese's well-being during the wait which I am quick to reassure that she most likely hasn't been born yet and we've applied for a healthy, one year old.

At this juncture, I am quite certain that Reese is indeed alive and kicking.  I can only assume that she is well and being cared for in an adequate manner.  I hope that she is in foster care so that she can benefit from less competition for attention than would be observed in the orphanage.  I hope she has not suffered and that someone is loving her and caring for her and preparing her for us.  Its really too overwhelming sometimes. 

The nursery is complete enough for occupancy although we still need lots in the way of baby goods but if someone were to knock on the door right now and express an urgent desire to place a baby in a crib - I can handle that - so its sad that on this day, 41 days since the phone calls for matches were last announced, I sit in my clean home with my prepared nursery and wonder what the next week will bring if anything since this week, now in its conclusion, yielded no new news on the adoption front.

My dear neighbor and friend called me this morning and inquired.  She always asks why even though she knows we don't know why the delay.  Bless her, she got more involved with this last summer and has had to come to grips with this torture, albeit from a bystander's perspective, and it is certainly frustrating. 

Our family, friends, colleagues, and acquaintances familiar with our quest hesitate to inquire for the most part.  I rally the troops with occasional postings on FB which generate numerous "likes" and "congratulations" - I dare say we may hold a record worthly of Guiness for the number of times our impending parenthood has been congratulated! 

It is of comfort to know this will have an end and it will have an end in this year and I believe Reese and I will be at the kiddie-pool by June and my yet to purchase Baby Jogger will have been used by May.

Ah the sun's position has highlighted cobwebs between a couple of spindles on the staircase that have eluded Josie obviously.  So my house requires more attention - I'm on it!  After that I'll prepare for my chiropractic adjustment and then I'm meeting friends this evening for a birthday celebration.  There will be no referral announcements this weekend so I, and my neighbor/friend, will table our anticipations for a couple of days.  Might need some retail therapy to get me through though :)

Happy Friday Y'all!