Saturday, February 09, 2008

Spice's Last Hours

We got a huge blow yesterday. Our kitty boy, Spice, is in acute chronic renal failure and he is in his last hours. He was his normal self on Wednesday morning while I was getting ready for work and by the time I got home that night he was in "sick kitty" mode. His appetite gone and this horrible odor on his breath and completely withdrawn. I took him to the vet and was not prepared to be told that his kidneys had stopped functioning. He has stones that may have moved on Wednesday which brought this on. This is a common ailment in cats I'm told. I missed the signs. His litter box did reveal increased urination but I just thought I needed to clean more frequently. I didn't know he was exhibiting symptons of chronic renal failure. CRF is not reversable but if caught early it can be managed. It becomes a quality of life issue at that point. I love my pets dearly but I know they are not happy with being hooked up to needles and bags for survival. Not to knock those that do this at all. I just enjoy my pets looking like this photo, lounging in an unconventional location and appearing in charge of it all. If Spice looks a little funny in this photo its because he's shaved for the summer. Himalayans are very furry and must be groomed or we all drown in kitty hair.
Spice is on his favorite kitchen chair in the afternoon sun right now. His breath is shallow and he is not interested in loving, he wants to be left alone. I have arranged for a vet to make a house call if/when things get worse. I do not want him to suffer. I have asked God to please take him in his sleep. It does appear that sleep is his current status. We pray his crossing is swift and painless. We are going to miss our Spicey dearly.